Sunday, November 07, 2004

Cheapskate reading

My imaginary best friend on tv, Oprah Winfrey has chosen "Anna Karenina" for her bookclub this year.

When I was a college student at Taylor's, my history lecturer had recommended this book as we were studying the Russian Revolution and the World War One. However, the story in Anna Karenina was set in 1877 and this was before both events, but my lecturer felt that it'd give his students a better understanding of Russia during that era. I remember him telling the class- it's a passionate love story.

Wah, how romantic! After class, I dashed off to the college library to get a copy of Anna Karenina but never got past the first few pages. There were just too many of them - 800 pages.

Recently, one of my workmates had read Anna Karenina after Oprah's recommendation, and highly recommended it. Go, go, read it. Leo Tolstoy really knew his stuff about family sagas. Better than all the chinese tv serial drama-lah.

Oh. Okay. I shall go get the book, then. So, I went hunting for the book at bookstores- MPH, Kino, Times. It was RM49.90 and I wasn't willing to dig out money for a book which I'll read once and relegate it to the stack of books collecting dust on my book shelf.

Yesterday, I discovered this website where you can download the entire book and read it online. And it's free! Yay!

I know, I know. A book to have and to hold in your hand is a thing of joy. Reading a novel online just isn't the same. The physical act of reading is missing - the weight of a book on your hand, the texture, the smell and the flipping of pages. But who cares, I get to save money and space. So, I've printed out the first 10 chapters of Anna Karenina.

*shakes head*

I'm such a deliberate skint, sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home