Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ain't no beach babe

Two weeks ago, I was enjoying the sea breeze, walking along Chaweng Beach at Koh Samui. As much as I love the beach, I can't be the beach babe in her bikini who lazes all day, with sand between her toes, sipping an icy cold mango fruit shake while luxuriating by the beach.

I brought two sets of bikini with me to Samui and didn't even once wore them. Perhaps, I was alone and after seeing gwai-los armed with Thai prostitutes, I'd rather not risk any chances of chatting up or being friendly with them. I could only allow myself to let my guard down with the men at Laine's wedding party. However, the local Thai folk are friendly and always smiling. Everytime I walked past the hotel's guard house, the smiley guard would wave and wish me, "Sawadee krap!" and I'd grin back, "Sawadee ka."

Not the beach babe, I just had to do something during my week-long stay at Samui. So I enrolled in the 3-day fruit carving course at the local Samui International Thai Culinary Arts, also known Sitca. During my first 3 days at Samui, I woke up early, at around eight, to have a hearty American breakfast at the local Khao San restaurant/bakery where friendly young Thai waiters served me. After a leisurely hour of breakfast, I'd head back to the beach and walk along Chaweng Beach to Sitca. It was a good half-hour walk. I now have a tan from all the walking by the beach.

Fruit carving class was super-fun. I learnt how to hold and angle a carving knife and learnt bits and pieces about local Thai culture from my instructor, Kim a sweet 25 year old Thai girl. After completing the course, I was stuck at Laine's wedding villa for the next 3 days, completing the mammoth task of baking and decorating her wedding cake.

After all the wedding excitement and holiday enjoyment (shopping, drinking, dining, staying out late and waking up late) I didn't realise how exhausted I was until I came home. I was completely knackered for the past week, really tired to the bone.

Perhaps, doing nothing and luxuriating by the beach would have been a better way to spend my holiday. Hmm.. nah, I think my toes would start wriggling and I'd start to get fidgety and restless.

Yep, I ain't no beac
h babe.

























* From top - Carved watermelon flower, vegetable plate cravings, mini mock cake of Laine's cake (sorry, no photos of the actual cake as I had too many cocktails on the night of the wedding party)

5 Comments:

Blogger JellyGirl said...

The pictures look lovely, especially the mock cake! Were the orchids edible too?

12:19 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Yep, they are as they're made out of sugarpaste but they're rock hard.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oohh, the mock cake looks delish and beautifully decorated!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Thanks, cake was a hit.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey queen, you've been tagged! :-)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home