Friday, July 22, 2005

My small fruity secret

Over the weekend, I took a road trip with Mr. J and his buddies to Fraser's Hill. On the way back, we decided to stop at Glenn's uncle's fruit orchard at Raub. The guys were craving for durians and I was quiet on the way to Raub as I'm a durian snob. Don't like the smell of durians, and I wouldn't, for the life of me, touch them.

There were plenty of durians, ( more like a glut!) and the guys went for them like locusts. I could only stand and watch them pig out. Glenn's uncle noticed me not partaking in the gluttony and gathered aloud that I obviously don't like durians. Not wanting to be a bad host, uncle asked if I like any other fruit.

Guava. I replied with a sigh of resignation.

Don't have that, ler.

Mangosteens? I was merely pushing my luck here.

Wait, ar. I check with my worker first.


He whipped out a Nokia phone and rang his worker and asked if they were any mangosteens.

"Iba, tolong tengok ada manggis, ar?"

Fifteen minutes later, Iba arrived on a motorcycle with a basketload of mangosteens.

I was estastic! Mangosteens!! All for me!

However, those gluttons decided to go for mangosteens, too. So, there we were, crowding around the basket of mangosteens. Quickly, I picked the small ones for myself. Sure enough, the guys took the bigger mangosteens.

Why did you choose tiny ones? -Glenn asked curiously.

Because she has tiny hands and feet -Mr. J teasingly replied.

Oh, so, I guess the size of her hands and feet are in proportion to the things she like. -one of the guys snickered.

I simply kept quiet and savoured my supersmall mangosteens. My late grandma taught me- the smaller the mangosteen, the sweeter and juicer they are. And small mangosteens hardly go bad as pests go for the bigger ones.

With a knowing smile, I watched the dungus ate their bigger but not so juicy mangosteens. I didn't asked if the mangosteens were any good, as I know they aren't that good as mine. They didn't even finish their lot of mangosteens. I devoured and finished every morsel of my supertiny mangosteens.

Sigh! Men will be men and they won't admit defeat.

Up till today, I still hadn't let on why I chose those supertiny mangosteens.

Sssh.... Don't tell the dungus. ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger anjali* said...

Haa. I have not heard the word "dungus" being used for awhile now. Yep, my grandma taught me about the small manggis too. I also like half ripe rambutans. :-)

10:43 PM  
Blogger JellyGirl said...

Mmmm now you've got me craving mangosteens.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Heh heh. Yesterday I went to buy fruits with family and I picked all the small mangosteens. Previously, my dad taught me to pick only those that are soft. Now, must be soft AND small.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

anjali - We'll keep this "manggis kecik" a sisterhood secret and pass them to the next female generation, yeah?

LMD- Glad u learnt a tip on picking mangosteen from my post. :P

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home