Friday, July 07, 2006

Merci beaucoup



Before I left for France, I was inundated with stories of how standoffish and rude the French are. However, I brushed them off and told myself to not hold any misguided judgments. I mean, you got to see and experience things yourself to know for sure.

Well, let me you something. It's a huge, HUGE misconception! The French are the warmest and nicest people I've ever met in all my travels.

On my first day in Paris, a grocer at Montmartre wished me, 'Bonjour!' as I walked past his shop and the lady at the boulangerie counter served me with a warm smile and wished me, "Bonne journee".

Everytime I got on the train with my luggage, a frenchman would offer to help me stow my bag into the overhead compartment which was too high for me. And again, before getting off the train, some frenchguy would help me bring my luggage down. One thing I know for sure, frenchmen are living examples of chivalrous gentlemen.

At St. Germain des Pres, a kind frenchman walked me to the nearest 'Huit a huit' supermarket because the shops were closed and I was tired, hungry and thirsty. Plus, there wasn't any takeaway sandwich bar in sight.

At Le Marais, the falafel owner refilled my drink because it was scorching hot (36 degrees celcius) that day and I had slurped my drink within seconds.

At the Gare du Nord sandwich bar, the server taught me how to say 'oui' in the brisk Parisian accent. 'Non, non, dise comme le Parisian 'oui'.'

In Nice, a sweet frenchlady took the trouble to walk me to the right bus-stop and made sure I got onto the right bus to my hotel.

I met really lovely french people in France. I'd forever remember their warm smiles and genuine kindness.

The French taught me an important life-lesson. It's not about which branded bag you carry. It's not about how well-dressed you are. It's not about how well made-up your face is.

It's how you treat others that matters.

4 Comments:

Blogger anjali* said...

So did you bring back a French gentleman back for me? :)

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, someone experiences what I enjoyed! :D

So glad to hear you had a great time! ^.^

5:31 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

anj- Didja bring home an aussie hunk for me? ;P

Mei- Knowing how to speak french has really made my trip truly a memorable one in France.

11:16 PM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Err...I don't remember you made that request wor...:-P

But I tot I did made mine. No? Am I going senile?

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home