Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The first time

After weeks of badgering from Mr. Busybody Glenn, I finally called Mr. J to wish him 'gong hei fatt choy' on the first day of the CNY. He sounded happy and we chatted for an hour.

On Sunday, he called me out to dinner but I had Chap Goh Mei dinner at my mum's place. Out of the blue, I asked if he'd like to join me and my family for dinner.

That was totally uncharacteristic of me, as my mum has this unwritten rule of bringing men home. I remember her telling me when I was 15, that the men my sister and I were to bring home are the ones we're going to marry.

And true enough, her one and only matriarch rule prevailed for years. I've never brought any boyfriends home. My mum doesn't know who the men in my life are. And my sister only brought one man home, that is my brother-in-law.

When Mr. J walked into my parent's house, my Aunty Lily told me, my eyes lit up and I practically glowed. He was charmingly polite to my parents and relatives. My cousins (little ones and adults alike) all eyed him curiously. My aunts couldn't stop gushing on what a 'leng chai' he is. My uncles couldn't stop talking shop with him. And my parents, oh well, they were somewhat baffled.

Later in the kitchen while doing the dishes.

Is he your boyfriend, ah? whispered Aunty Lily.

No la. He's just a friend. Why ah? I bring home a guy doesn't mean he's my boyfriend. We're living in the 21st century, ok? I hissed back.

Wait, you just wait... I can see you marrying this one.

* leng chai- handsome fella

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

1:12 AM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Y'know what? He is turning into a Mr Big in Sex in the City of your life...

I think you still got the hotz for him. If he has changed his party and smoking ways, think you should not let this one go. Again. :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

LMD - Dunno whether to rejoice with Aunty Lily's prophecy.

Anj - Of course, I still got the hots for him. I still get that rush when I see him.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home