Monday, January 23, 2006

We are family

(on the phone)
Mum: Hello, girl ah. Don't forget we have reunion dinner at Imbi Palace Restaurant this Saturday.

Me : Yes, Ma.

Mum : Dinner starts at 5.30.

Me : What?!

Mum : 5.30

Me : 5.30?! Why 5.30?

Mum : Because I've booked 4 tables and the restaurant says it's either 5.30 or 8.30. Because they're heavily overbooked. So have to let diners eat in two shifts.

Me : Huh? Eat in shifts?! Ok, whatever. I'll be there at 5.30

Mum : And girl. We are visiting your place on neen chor yat.

Me : No! Ma, cannot!!

Mum: Why not? We haven't been to your place.

Me : I don't have any furniture. Haven't bought a sofa set. I've been sitting on the floor to watch tv.

Mum: But Uncle Yee, Aunty May and your FAMILY (she meant the rest of the 30-odd family members of the clan) want to come visiting...

*********
And that's precisely why I had to get my own place.

* Neen chor yat - Cantonese for New Year's Day

4 Comments:

Blogger A cupcake or two said...

heya. You got your own pad already?

8:47 PM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Hah. Got a place and not telling. How can?

Anyway, I also started with sitting on the floor. And the collection of furnitures should be done slowly.

Gong Xi Fa Cai, "ah gurl" :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger JellyGirl said...

Ah so you've moved already! Happy housewarming and happy new year! :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Dear all, I've moved into my own place but it's nothing to shout about as my only piece of furniture is a coffee table.

And like anjali said, gotta get the furniture slowly (as I'm dead broke and dead fussy).

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home