Friday, January 27, 2006

Gutting it out for the CNY

Ever since I've moved out, I've been making countless trips to my parent's place slowly shifting my belongings. Oh, and occasionally raid their fridge and pantry cupboard.

My mum complains that I hardly 'visit' her. So today, I decided to fulfill the obligatory filial daughter duty and 'visit' her the whole day.

Instead, she sent me to Midvalley Megamall to do last-minute grocery shopping for the CNY celebrations. Top on her list is 3 pieces of pig's stomach.

Every year, on the first day of the lunar year, my mum brews a big pot of hearty, peppery pig's stomach soup for her clan of 30-odd family members. And I'm unofficially the best buyer for this ingredient - haha, it's true! No one, not even my brother (who is her pet among my siblings) is entrusted with this delicate task.

One year, my brother was delegated to buy the said ingredient and the result was a malodorous soup that smelled vaguely of cat's urine; which no one went for seconds or dared comment. That was the year with a huge pot of leftover pig's stomach soup.

It's fairly easy to choose the best pig's stomach. Regardless of freshness, the stomach lining looks grey. So the trick is to examine the veins. Simply choose one with healthy veins that has a red pinkish colour. And voila, you've the best slab of pig's stomach for brewing the most delicious pig's stomach soup.

Perhaps, a steaming bowl of peppery pig's stomach soup on the first day of the lunar year will kick me back in the CNY mood. Yeah, and I'm rambling on about pig's innards.

Anyway, Gong Hei Fatt Choy, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Luna Esa said...

Wu jiu gee tou tong is also my family's favourite! But we drink it all through the year.. =)

11:33 PM  
Blogger may said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai, CCQ! thanks for the drop-by. I really like your posts :) hope to read more soon!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Gong Hei Fatt Choy!!!

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home