Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dresses in waiting

I just realised last week that I absolutely hate clothes shopping. I'd rather shop for furniture/household/decor things. They are so much easier to shop as they give more value per usage.

To me, clothes shopping means buying a dress for an occasion - weddings or functions; which also means parting a huge chunk of my hard-earned money for a dress I'd probably wear only once.

I'm dead fussy when it comes to buying that one dress.

It has to fit. I have to like the design. The colour must be flattering to my skintone. The design must be classic/versatile enough to withstand fashion trends. And I must love it so much that I can't bear to walk of the shop without the dress.

Eureka shopping moments are such rarity that they happen once in a blue moon. As a result, I've dresses that I've bought and regulated to the wardrobe, waiting to be worn. Some not worn in years.

When I attended Laine's wedding a few months ago, she asked what was I going to wear? I replied, a green baby doll dress which I bought from Zara that has been hanging in my wardrobe in the past 2 years.

I clearly remember buying that Zara dress because I absolutely loved the moss green paisley cloth design of the dress. I bought it even though I hadn't any occasion to wear it at that time. And the green Zara dress sat in my wardrobe for 2 years before a suitable occasion came along.

Last week, I was looking for a suitable dress to wear for a wedding banquet dinner. I found a really nice dress at Eclipse - bottle green cocktail dress with black lace cape sleeves. It fitted well and I liked the colour and design but the hem was fraying a bit. And I was not willing to pay RM470 for a dress that was fraying a little. I was a little upset when I left the shop as I had 2 weeks to find a dress.

I was chatting with a friend online today and lamented to him on how I've a wedding dinner next week and nothing to wear. He (my arty gay friend) suggested a cheongsam. Suddenly I remember having a gorgeous pale orange chiffon cheongsam with silver sparkly flower motif (which I've never worn) hanging in my wardrobe in the past 5 years.

Quickly, I went to my wardrobe and and tried on the cheongsam. It was perfect! Just the right dress to attend a formal wedding dinner held at a swank hotel (plus the bride's parents are terribly traditional Chinese).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home