Friday, December 10, 2004

Invisible face lift

Last night, I attended a "facial demo" at my friend, Jenn's home. I bumped onto Jenn at a newsagent in 1 Utama a few days ago. I haven't seen her for awhile and asked how she was doing. Then, she proceeded to tell me of this fantastic skincare product that has miraculously cured her cousin's acne problem. Automatically, I quickly picked up a Vogue magazine and started reading.

Jenn was ever persistent to make sure I come over to her place. She even made me promise not to stand her up. When she told me to go to her place to hear all about it and refused to reveal the name of the company, immediately a warning red light flashed over me -"Red alert! Red alert! Evil Multi Level Marketing company ahead!" Still, she rambled on while I was busy reading the Vogue magazine with Jennifer Connelly on the cover. Finally, she stopped rambling and I looked up and said "Yes, I'll be at your place." I only said yes because I was curious to know what was in store.

I arrived early at Jenn's place. I sat around and played with her 2 year old girl while waiting for 'some people' to arrive. First, Jenn's cousin, Dolly came. Yes, the woman with the horrendous skin problem and only recently, found her magic skin bullet with this company's wonderful skincare line. Minutes later, Dolly's upline, Christine arrived.

After introductions and Christine scrutinising me from head to toe, we sat at the dining table and ate curry puffs, nyonya kuihs and drank tea while Dolly began her personal account of her skin dilemma for years - endless visits to beauticians, tons of money wasted, expensive facial treatments that resulted in red, blotchy skin, almost gave up hope, etc., etc. She even assured me theirs was not a multi-level marketing company and they only sell through beauty salons and sales distributors.

Yep, I was ready.

I listened quietly and smiled politely while Dolly went on with her sad, woeful tale of years suffering from acne.

I don't have smooth, flawless skin and my skin occasionally breaks out while surfing the great red tide. Right now, I'm seeing a dermatologist for microdermabrasion treatment where I also get my skincare products (which you can only get at dermatologist clinics). My skin doesn't need desperate help. It's very much under control, thanks to my dermatologist, Dr. A.

Anyway, after Dolly finished her personal account, Christine who was observing me (looking completely unconvinced and uninterested) all the while, proceeded with her own experience as a beautician. She related on how 50 year old aunties have reversed the aging battle with the wonderful skincare products which they were going to demonstrate on me later. Yes, their products can really 'pull up' the skin on the face and neck to make aging skin look younger. Wow!

So, I lied on the sofa for 45 minute while Christine did a full-facial on the right side of my face. The usual ploy is to do facial on one side of the face to constrast the immediate effect of the product used. I listened to Christine droning on how their products use only natural ingredients, no perservatives, no chemicals, only the highest quality natural ingredients are used. She cleansed, applied toner, mask, scrub and moisturiser to the right side of my face.


When done, she told me to look in the mirror and pointed to my right chin and the cheek area on the right side of my nose and asked if I could see how those areas were instantly "lifted". I wanted to laugh out loud but only said calmly, "I don't see any difference." As a result, Christine got flustered and took my hand and ran over to the right side of my face and told me to feel the "difference".

Of course, the right side of my face felt so much smoother and nicer. But I don't see no instant face lift.

I've never heard of this U.S. company. It's called something like 'riding the sun'. When I came home to check the website, it claimed to be a multi-level marketing company.


Aha! So, Christine and Dolly are part of the evil multilevel marketing scheme after all. I knew it!

This morning, I woke up cursing to find two tiny pimples on the right side of my face. Still, I'm amused with Christine and Dolly's evil sales tactics:

1. Use sad, 'hopeless situation' personal account stories.
2. Miracles do happen with their products.
3. Do facial demo on one side of the face.
4. Point out the invisible 'face lift' on face after the facial.
5. Forget about all other skincare products- they are useless and harmful.

Ah, well. They tried. And I went home with nothing but an invisible face lift.

Nyak-hahaha...

1 Comments:

Blogger FF said...

I hate fake people like these who try to coerce you to join their crap MLM companies. Good on you that you didn't fall for their scheme.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home