Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Here to stay

Last Sunday, I attended a wedding at a fancy restaurant, off Jalan Ampang. I knew the newly-wed couple from my uni days.

All year long, I've been waiting to attend this wedding, as my old mates from uni were going to be there. Yep, they actually flew down to KL (from various cities scattered globally) to attend the wedding. When I walked into the wedding canopy, my heart leapt with much joy and happiness. It had been a good 8 long years since I last saw them.

The first thing they said when they saw me, "Oy farking hell, you've never changed! Not one bit! You're still the same! What the fark did you do to look forever young?" "Ah, well, blame it on my asian age-defying genes", I replied with a wink.

It was so good to be around friends who completely understood my then (and still) mandatory daily listening dosage of New Order. Friends who taught me how to bake a "space cake." Friends who have always been my creative buoy. Friends who shared my divine moments in the past- skinny-dipping in the sea on a cold wintery morning, the "midnight high" picnics at parks, the late night coffee haunts, showing up at one of the bunch's poetry reading/photography show/art exhibit/flea market stall.

Yes, they are my wildly creative buddies- John, Drew, Heng, Olivia and Natalie. After years of not seeing each other, we've kept in touch via email and MSN chat. Every now and then, I'd received a letter or postcard in the mailbox, updating me of their lives - who got married, had kids, made it good in their respective careers. They taught me to live life with passion, to always seek and to develop interests in life.

I was running on a high that night. Yes, they always get me into a bizarre sort of high. This time, sans the pot-smoking and manic drinking. At the end of the night, when most of the guests have left, they even got me into singing New Order's "Here To Stay" with background synth music by them. :)

Sigh, I wish that moment is here to stay.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's wonderful. just had some really good time with my family too - catching up and just relaxing. the best.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Yes, I wish you'd tell that to Mr. J. He still in that overgrown teenaged mode- partying & drinking every weekend. Sigh...

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home