Friday, November 04, 2005

Baking bliss

To me, happiness is lying on my bed, with my cookbooks sprawled around me while I randomly flip through pages contemplating on what to bake.

This afternoon, I had the most luxurious time alone, baking a sherry cherry cake. It was a typical british teatime cake which I found on a British daily website - The Guardian.

The cake was crumbly, moist and just delicious. The recipe was really easy and quick to make. It's one of the easiest cake I've ever baked. Really, baking is my feel-good activity. The sheer delight of seeing the golden brown crust of the cake and the gentle, sweet aroma wafting to the whole house reminds me that I could stay home alone all day and do nothing but bake.

However, yesterday was a big contrast - I was surrounded with people and yet, I was a complete grouch. I went to a Raya Open House with two single 40-something women, whom one of them was a client. It was an obligatory outing as I thought I do my small part on pleasing the client, outside work. But I was utterly wrong.

Both of them unwittingly made me feel disappointed with my single self. I was interrogated on my single status and reminded that I've still got time to make more 'relationship mistakes'. Soon, it dawned on me that I was glaringly single again.

Ever since, I broke up with Mr. J, I've never really sat down and thought about my single self. At the end of the day, I was tetchy, irritated and was in dire need of solitude. I wanted so badly to get away from those two hopelessly desperate women.

Today, I realised what I've been missing. Over the past few months, my life has been crowded with people and social outings which I wasn't particularly keen of. I barely had time alone to hear myself think.

Honestly, solitude is the best company I could ever ask for.

3 Comments:

Blogger anjali* said...

Sounds yummy to me. Take it slow, gurl. Life always has its own surprising way to take care of itself. :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger A cupcake or two said...

Love this post. I find that singledom only becomes a problem when people around make you think it is a problem.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

tiff - thanks for the enlightening comment.. Heh. I now know better than to surround myself with pesky people who'd make me feel bad about singlehood.

anj - can't wait to read more about your India trip@

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home