Thursday, November 17, 2005

Solitude antidote

Apart from the sparse and sudden bouts of sheer loneliness, I'm enjoying my total reclusion.

It's the best antidote to getting unstuck from a career which isn't going anywhere, from a social circle which is getting irritatingly repressive, from life which doesn't seem exciting anymore.

Every evening, I'd come home and the first thing I'd do is switch the phone off. I don't even watch tv now. I find the flickering screen distractingly noisy and unsettling.

So I read lots. I even found interesting websites to read-
Salon.com, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker. I discovered a fine essayist, Joan Didion whose work resonates clarity and honesty (which is what I need at the moment). I also found a perfect french pear tart recipe.

Strange how a few years ago, I was yearning to have a flourishing social life with a wide circle of friends.

Now I don't even want to go out during the weekends. I'd do anything to stay home and spend quiet time alone.

3 Comments:

Blogger A cupcake or two said...

i wonder when that solitude phase will hit me ... i am never totally comfortable with being by myself. Unless of course it's when i'm travelling.

9:27 AM  
Blogger JellyGirl said...

I get like that too, sometimes I'm dying to go out and party with my friends, and other times, all I want to do is curl up at home with a good book. I guess it's all about stages in life. Enjoy the silence! :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

tiff- I've never felt more lonely than when I'm alone.

Jellygirl- thanks, I'm enjoying this silence. :D

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home