Thursday, July 27, 2006

Longest flu ever

I've been sick for the past 3 weeks. The jet lag, lack of sleep plus work stress crashed my immune system.

During the first week, I had a nasty dry cough which left me with coughing in my sleep. One night, I woke up in the middle of the night in the midst of a coughing fit. I was coughing non-stop for an hour before I reluctantly got up and rubbed Vicks on my throat and chest. Vicks sure works wonders on calming a raging sore throat.

After a week of hacking and coughing, I relented and went to the doctor for a course of antibiotics and drowsy cough syrup. The coughing stopped but it morphed into a full-blown flu - achy joints, runny nose and feeling lousy all the time.

I'm back to my feet but I'm still eating the damn 'jook'. I'm so sick and tired of jook after 3 weeks of eating nothing but jook.

Yesterday, I had an enormous craving for steak that I invited Paully and at the last minute, dragged Mr. J from his workplace to Jake's Steakhouse. It was the best meal I had eaten in the past 3 weeks. The steak was so juicy and tender. The chips were crispy and salty. My tastebuds were jolted from a 3-week hibernation. Every morsel, slice, crumb of food I put into my mouth was so, so, so yummy. A delicious myriad of flavours danced and skipped joyously on my tongue.

Paully and Mr. J were amused at my swooning after every mouthful of food that they wished they had a camera.

However, this morning I woke up grouchy with a dry throat and stuffy nose- not a good sign. So, it's back to the dreaded jook for now.

I sure miss eating tandoori & naan, char kway teow, Mc D's McChicken, Haagen Das ice cream and a whole feast of food which I can't eat because of my delicate throat. Damn!

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

You can eat noodle soup! Get well soon!

12:34 AM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Get well soon!

5:16 PM  
Blogger A cupcake or two said...

post-holiday blues perhaps? hope you are feeling heaps better now!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Thanks, chickies. Feeling much better now. :P

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

flue for 3 weeks?! Thats nothing, i have had it for 6 weeks so far. A couple of years ago i had it for....wit for it......3 months!!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home