Thursday, April 07, 2005

Picking me up

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the bank to deposit some cheques. The bank is pretty close to my house, which is a brisk 5 minute walk. It had rained earlier and there was a slight drizzle when I left the house.

15 minutes later, the slight drizzle turned into a down pour. So I had to wait outside the entrance of the bank for the rain to stop. A few shops away is a mamak restaurant. Out of sheer boredom, I actually watched, with fascination, how the mamak made Roti Paper. It was a quick process where he thinly spread the batter, scrape the sides for a bit and deftly folded the roti into a thin paper cone. Then, I noticed several middle-aged men sitting outside the mamak restaurant looking at me curiously. Immediately, I felt uncomfortable and moved closer to the bank door where a pillar hid me from their view.

It rained on and on. And I was left with nothing to do but to stare at the row of Samanea trees in front of me. The glistening tree branches were waving and dancing with wind. Soon, I saw a magical pixieland at the top of the Samanea tree. So there I was, standing, waiting, and having a good time, creating a pixie colony with a multi-colour glowing lake between the top branches. And an enemy territory (with shimmering black pixies) at the next tree where they would fire egg bombs confiscated from birds' nests. I could almost see the pixies flitting lightly from one leaf to the another when, suddenly, I was rudely interrupted by this 20-something, not-bad-looking Ah Beng.

"Miss-ah, could I walk you to your car? I've got an umbrella here," he said in Cantonese.

"No, I didn't come by car. I live round the corner."

"Oh, then could I walk you home?"

Wah, this Beng is getting desperate, liao.

"No, I'm fine. I'm waiting for the rain to stop."

"Oh, you're waiting for someone, is it?" he asked lamely.

"Ah, yes, I'm waiting for someone," I replied nonchalantly.

I'd noticed the Ah Beng earlier when he and his colleague (both had green polo shirts like an IT company uniform) walked past me to the shoplot above the bank. Later, from the corner of my eye, I saw him and his colleague with an umbrella. They were muttering between themselves before the Beng finally mustered enough courage to speak to me.

While waiting for the rain to stop and letting my mind go riot, I also noticed two crows across the road, huddled closely on the electrical line. It was raining heavily, there were no other birds in view except for two crows.

It was a bizarre afternoon. Ah Beng tried to pick me up. Two lone lovebirds perching in the rain. Later, the pakcik security guard from the bank offered me newspaper to cover my head, so I could walk home.

Hmm, two lovebirds perching in the heavy rain... I wonder...



5 Comments:

Blogger maotai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:42 AM  
Blogger maotai said...

would you have given the young man a chance if it was not to walk to your house?

what he should have done was to pass you the umberalla and his phone number ;)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Pass me the umbrella and his number? Sheesh, I don't have time for silly games like that, liao.

5:27 PM  
Blogger maotai said...

no use looking at the lovebirds and wondering leh.

sometimes one has to kiss many frogs to find a prince.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Lily C said...

hello.

congrats on your 1000 mark. (belated, i know)

and as an occasional reader of your blog, i would like to comment: Mr. J!!! what happened?!?! perhaps i am the pathetic romantic, but if you both know you like each other--why not???

where's the happy ending????

signed,
-sighing-

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home