Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The cookbook that saw me travel south

After a good month of not baking, I decided to bake "Banana-White Chocolate-Cherry" cupcakes for my friends. It's an easy recipe where you melt the butter in a pot, add sugar, flour, baking powder; stir and mix the rest of the ingredients. And voila! You have a nicely mixed batter that requires no mixing in the cake mixer. This ridiculously easy concept came from "One Pot Cakes" by Andrew Schloss which is unfortunately out of print. However, you may find the same recipe from Nigella Lawson's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess".

Ever since I tried Andrew Schloss "Chocolate Bleeding Heart Cakes" recipe in a Glamour 1997 issue magazine, I've been eye-ing the book on Amazon.com. Initially, I had wanted to purchase the book but I was a wee bit late as the ringgit pegging in 1998 upped the cost by 50%. Pretty soon, the book went out of print. Later, it was even sold second-hand on Amazon for US$200.

But I never gave up my search for "One Pot Cakes" and trawled other booksites but my search was fruitless. So, every now and then, out of sheer boredom, I'd googled for "One Pot Cakes".

Last year, I hit the jackpot! I came across this Worldwide Library Catalogue link that indicated that the Singapore National Library actually have copies of Andrew Schloss's One Pot Dessert Series. I tell you, I actually jumped up and down on my chair. It was the luckiest day of my life!

One week after my discovery, I made a special trip down to Singapore to get THAT copy of "One Pot Cakes". My S'porean friend, Ade was amazed by my story of how I've been waiting for years to get hold of "One Pot Cakes" and good friend like her, borrowed a copy from the National Singapore Library and made a photocopy for me.

Imagine, going down to Singapore for a 100 page cookbook?!?! Yeah, that further confirms me as a Baking Queen.



3 Comments:

Blogger JellyGirl said...

Those cakes must be superfantastically good for you to travel alllll the way here for a recipe! :) Now I wanna try!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Yah, you must go borrow "One Pot Cakes" from the National Library. They're soooo easy to make and yummy, too.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ivan Chew said...

That must have been one very important book! I hope you don't mind me sharing this -- this is the direct link to One Pot Cakes. We don't seem to have any books by Schloss after 1998. Wonder if he stopped publishing. You know, the library could scan like 2 or 3 pages of the book for you and email it to you (if you're looking for just a few pages). Well, I'd be happy to do that anyway (I work for NLB).

A 100 pages... hmm,let's not go there. I'd get into trouble with the publisher for being an accessory to copyright infringement or something : )

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home