Friday, January 07, 2005

Wicked cakes coming up!

I've always stopped short at making cakes/cookies that require a dash of alcohol. Because in my house, we've got no other alcohol but the typical chinaman Hennessy Cognac XO, which my parents buy by the crate every year without fail. My mum's only reason, when I asked why buy Cognac XOs in emergency rations - Aiyah, in case, we run out of Cognac XOs for family gatherings - as if!

There're way too many bottles of Cognac XO stuffed in the liquor cupboard. And not enough family gatherings to guzzle them. So, my mum has a mandatory bottle of Cognac XO in the kitchen, among the bottles of sauces. Food tastes really good when you add cognac- especially beef stew, baked garlic prawns, stir-fried frog legs and hainanese steamed chicken but sadly, not cakes.

Once, I've added 1/3 cup of cognac to a 'liquer chocolate cake' recipe. And the result was an unchocolatey cake with a sharp alcohol and somewhat herbal-like taste. That was the wierdest chocolate cake I've ever baked. No, cognac does not go well in cakes. It overpowers other flavours in the cake.

So, I've decided to stock up on the booze to bake those alcoholic cakes I've always wanted to bake. Am getting a bottle each month:
1. Grand Marnier or Cointreau - whichever is cheaper
2. Amaretto
3. Tia Maria
4. Kirsch
5. Bacardi Rum

Ooh, I can't wait to buy my first bottle of liquor!

This year is a year of wickedly decadent cakes. :P

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Ooooh I LOVE Amaretto!!! And Tia Maria! And Kahlua!

And maybe you can use Cognac - just use less.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

You're sure living up to your name -little miss drinkalot!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home