Thursday, January 12, 2006

I came undone

I am not one of those women with an extensive shoe wardrobe. I only buy shoes when I really like them, which is a rare probability. For the past 2 years, I've been alternating between black ballet flats and black strappy heels for work.

Yesterday, I was viewing exquisite artwork of Nirmala Dutt's at Valentine Willie Gallery at Bangsar when my black ballet flats came undone. The left outer sole has unglued itself and my left shoe flapped a little as I walked. I got a little paranoid of the whole shoe coming off with the outer sole left lying on the pavement. That would be so embarassing. Imagine, me doing an unglamourous version of Cinderella leaving behind one outer solle of her ballet flat on the pavement for all Bangsar lunch crowd to see!

I could easily fix my flats. All I need to do is visit my friendly neighbourhood malay cobbler to glue it back. But last week, I saw this gorgeous pair of black suede flats with a sparkly edging at TopShop.

Today, I decided to go to TopShop to check it out. The flats were a little pricey at RM179 and I wasn't in a splurge mode. So I thought I go check out Zara sales instead. As I stepped into Zara, the left heel of my black strappy heels got stuck between this metal floor divider at the entrance. Not to make an utter fool of myself, I merely tugged my left foot to get the heel out. Unknowingly, I left the little plastic sole stuck between the metal edging. As I walked, I heard an unusual light metallic clink from my left heel. It was only in the dressing room that I discovered the mishap.

I literally had to skip back to TopShop, just to get the black suede flats before I wear out my left heel. I tell you, I felt really ridiculous as the TopShop sales assistant gave me a knowing smile as he had greeted me earlier.

Never in my life have I had such a bad, baaad shoe day. And not once but two days in a row!

(Pic - The TopShop flats that saw me skipping 100 metres from Zara to TopShop at Midvalley today)

5 Comments:

Blogger JellyGirl said...

Very pretty!

The same thing's happened to me too. I was out with a friend once and the strap to my too-many-times-mended strappies finally burst, and I had to walk barefoot into Isetan to buy a new pair of shoes immediately!

9:18 AM  
Blogger A cupcake or two said...

my funny shoe story happened one year during visiting rellies over chinese new year. From getting out of the car to arriving at my uncle's doorstep, my ancient pair of heels disintegrated into a pair of uneven flatties.My mom and me had a good laugh all the way there too!

12:19 PM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Have never experienced this before, but sure sounds like a damn good reason to get a new pair of shoes. ;)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

jellygirl & tiff - Yep, we all gotta have that 'my shoe came undone' once in our womanhood! :)

anjali - Aiyoh, the other shoe oso koyak! Gotta get a new pair of heels. Sigh.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my shoe story happened last year in Shanghai, with a pair of black leather slippers I'd bought in Italy in May 2002. I was walking near my hubby's office when I stepped and slipped on some slippery gunk and the strap to my slipper broke. Sigh. My heart broke as well, 'cause I really loved those slippers. I still can't bear to throw them away. Anyway, I called hubby at his office and asked him to buy a pair of sandals for me from the nearby shopping centre. He got me a nice comfy casual pair of sandals that I wear almost everywhere now!

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home