Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Baby cakes that got busted

After purchasing "Little Cafe Cakes" by Julie Le Clerc, I decided to try her recipes. I spotted one very interesting recipe- Chocolate Opium Baby Cakes. Basically, they're chocolate cupcakes with a subtle twist - poppyseeds. Actually, it was the recipe's warning that intrigued me- poppy-seed laden cakes tend to be addicitive!

It was my first time baking a poppyseed cake. And what's more- chocolate poppyseed baby cakes! Naturally, I got really excited and even bought a muffin pan.

So, last friday night, I was busy in the kitchen, happily measuring, mixing and adding all the precious ingredients. The baby cakes came out beautifully from the oven. They rose to a nice height- not too tall nor too puffy. The kitchen smelled heavenly and I was in seventh heaven, like Charlie and his Chocolate Factory.

Next morning, I jumped out of bed. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into one of those lovely baby cakes.

I took one bite.

*CRUNCH* *GASP* *PTUI* *YUCK*

It was awful! The baby cake turned into a gritty sand cake!

You know how when you're eating rice and you accidentally bite on a tiny stray pebble. It's that horrible loud, crunching sound that not only hurt your ears but makes you lose appetite afterwards.

I was disgusted and very disappointed with Julie Le Clerc. Before anyone'd complain about those nasty baby cakes, I quickly packed all 12 cakes into a plastic bag and threw them away. That was a horrible baking day!

Today, I went to the baking supply shop at Taman Mayang and saw two types of poppy seed. Then, I realised I had used the wrong type of poppy seed- the white ones that the Indians use to thicken curries.

Silly me! I should have checked at Cook's Thesaurus in the first place. Anyway, I got the right poppy seed- shiny dark blue ones. This weekend, I shall rebake the chocolate opium baby cakes, as I don't give up easily on failed baking/cooking attempts. And I'm not about to give up on Miss Le Clerc and her wonderful baking book.

Lesson learnt - read up on any vaguely known ingredients before baking or cooking.

4 Comments:

Blogger mediha_m said...

Sounds scrumptious!

(bloghopped from LMD)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Dammit! Can I give you my address and you send some cupcakes my way?!?

8:29 PM  
Blogger JellyGirl said...

I love poppyseed cakes! When I was studying in Oz, my uni cafe had the most scrumpilicious orange poppyseed cake. yumyum! And yes I echo LMD's sentiments, can you make cupcakes and send them our way, pretty pretty please with sugar on top?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

Hmm, am thinking of starting a cupcake mail order service *ponder ponder*

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home